Monday, November 30, 2009

Poetry Slam

You're thinking, "Oh. My. God. She's gonna bag on Diablo Cody, again."

Yes. Yes, I am. I promise one day I'll get to Stephanie Meyer.

So, I'm that one awful English major who hates poetry. SLAP ME!!! However, there is something poetic to me about a screenplay. Perhaps it's the need for structure. I'm not sure, I just love reading screenplays. So, for the sake of argument, my poetry slam is on the "Juno" screenplay. Because, really, what teenager talks the way she does? Screaming out "Balls!", when, everyone knows, every 15 and 16 year old would much rather scream, "Fuck!"? And, quite honestly, if I'd have said "You're a dick! I love it" to my step-mom, regardless of how I meant it, I'd have been slapped.

Really, people? If we're going for the pregnant teen thing, "Saved!" was so much better. The dialogue was real and actually felt genuine, the movie itself was funny, the music actually wasn't too terrible and (!!) you still get your underaged mommy story.

No comments:

Post a Comment